By Will Lazarra and Levi D’Amato
- The iconic phrase, “Let them eat cake”, muttered by Marie Antoinette, is said to have actually said “Qu’ils mangent de la brioche”. This translates into English as “Let them eat brioche”
“Let them eat
- Sliced bread was only invented in 1928 and was referred to as the best thing since bagged bread.
- The term baker’s dozen originated from bakers gave extra bread to avoid being penalized for selling short weight. So, a dozen could be 13, 14 or even 15.
- Sandwiches account for 50% of bread consumption.
- Bread appears 360 times in the Bible. It appears 280 times in the Old Testament and 80 times in the New Testament.
- The biggest loaf of bread weighed 1,571 kilograms, or 3,463.46 pounds, and was made by Joaquim Gonçalves in Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil on November 13, 2008.
- The average American eats almost 60 pounds of bread a year.