By Mason Peters
Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day and smoothies can be a quick and nutritious start. On average, it takes three minutes to blend up one’s favorite fruits and vegetables, creating the perfect energy booster for the day ahead. For example, smoothies can consist of ingredients such as almond milk, spinach, and often nutrient dense foods. People can also choose to use ingredients that suit their tastes and preferences. Any clean up can be a breeze with only a blender, which leaves people satisfied with a simple smoothie to start off the day.
Many people think a breakfast with spinach, kale, or avocado, doesn’t fit in the breakfast category. That is not true. It is super easy to make a healthy smoothie without it tasting like a bowl of leafy greens.
The base of the smoothie should always be a liquid with no sugar such as almond milk or water. Following the base, throwing in fruit like frozen bananas or blueberries is key to making the smoothie taste superlative. Next, adding in a handful of one’s desired greens replaces the urge to add an unhealthy ingredient like ice cream. The smoothie should not be overpowered by fruit because the balance of fruit and vegetables is proven to boost energy levels. After adding the greens, a protein powder such as pea protein is a great source of nutrients. At this point, the smoothie is ready to be whipped up and turned into a liquified masterpiece.
Smoothies do not only have to be consumed as a breakfast alternative. Who says smoothies for dinner can’t be a thing? The versatility of smoothies is what makes them so unique. Your body will thank you in the long run for implementing nutrient dense ingredients into your diet. Here is a list of smoothie ideas for future consideration.
Breakfast Smoothie ideas
- 1 ½ cups of almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 handful of spinach, 1 cup of frozen blueberries, ¼ cup of sliced cucumber, and protein powder.
- 1 cup of almond milk, 1 cup of frozen pineapple, 1 ½ cups of raspberries, 1 cup of kale, 1 tablespoon of chai, protein powder, and a peeled orange.
- 1 ½ cups of almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 2 cups of blueberries, 1 handful of spinach, 1 tablespoon of chai, chia seeds, and protein powder.
- 1 ½ cups of almond milk or water, 1 frozen banana, 1 orange peeled, 1 ¼ cup of zucchini, and protein powder.
- 1 ½ cups of almond milk, 2 ½ cups of mixed berries, ½ cup of kale and spinach, 2 slices of watermelon, and protein powder.
Dinner Smoothie ideas
- 1 ½ cups of oat milk, 1 cooked or raw beet, peeled, ½ cucumber, 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup plant-based milk, 2 frozen bananas, 1 cup blueberries, vanilla powder, and 1 tablespoon of chai.
- 1 cup of water, ½ cup frozen mango, ½ cup frozen strawberries, 1 tsp of macha powder, 2 tsp of super green powder, and 2 tbsp protein powder.
- 1 cup plant-based milk, 1 cup frozen mixed berries, ½ cup spinach, 1-2 cups almonds, and protein powder.